Friday, June 20, 2014

6.18

San Vincente 
Emily and I get to work and we are informed that there is a Group here, today. The ladies are upstairs praying, so we join them for the rosary before wheeling them down to the community room. Around 40 high schoolers, boys and girls, show up a few moments later. They have nail polish, a guitar, snacks and games. This is by far the best, most interactive group I've seen here. They stay for two hours talking with the women, and making sure each of them has some individualized attention. I couldn't be happier. Florencia is much better today - whatever the doctor gave her must have worked. She is wheeling herself around flirting with all the young boys and making the girls paint her nails. This makes my heart swell. The change from yesterday to today is very dramatic, and it's nice to see that she isn't in pain anymore. When the group is finished, they help us take everyone back to their rooms to get ready for lunch. A few of the kids want pictures with Emily and I, because they've never talked to Americans before!! It's time to go before I know it.

The group is going to San Antonio Aguas Calientes to learn about weaving today, so Hallie and I opt out, having done that last Wednesday. I spend the day relaxing and trying to catch up on this blog (not too successfully). We eat a quiet dinner with Don Pablo, the guard. He doesn't speak any English, so we have a fun time trying to communicate stories back and forth, and he's full of jokes. I'm not sure if it's my Spanish that has improved since being here, or just my confidence. Regardless, I find I'm understanding more when people talk to me than I ever have before. I'm sad that I don't have a longer opportunity to practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment